AUG 1ST 2004 -MY 3 YEARS MARK of locing ~~loc freedom and freeforming all the way... Be peace. ~ *feel free to leave comments*

Monday, September 06, 2004

"SHE'S GONE ON THE BLACK SIDE NOW..."

...still hearing this statement. As a biracial person with locs, I feel many associate my locing journey with a militant Black image...

During the 3 yeas of locing, I have been fortunate enough to meet a few men/women of biracial origin who have experienced the exact same thing as me... Non-Black family members and their false assumptions, the surprised looks when I tell someone I have European family and the usual questions on a testing level....

Being natural seems OK, but as soon as we loc up...people assume that we no longer want to associate with the non-Black side of things...

Let me clear up a few things...
~I am a Roots girl ( both Spiritually and cultural) ...how can I be so without accepting my own?
~How is growing locs a Black only thing when I see many non-Black people with locs too?
~Why is my locs a threat to my heritage at all?


I am equally proud of both sides- yet they do not define me... I am just 'me' -but society will want me to tick a box as an 'ethnic minority' ...

I embrace both of my cultural backgrounds with open arms -whetehr they choose to do the same to me is another story.

For me, locing is a Spiritual realm ... not a Black declaration.

No comments: